(1) Subject to confirmation by the on an by the , a or limited by guarantee and having a capital may, by a special resolution, reduce the share capital in any manner and in, particular, may—
(a) extinguish or reduce the liability on any of its shares in respect of the share capital not paid-up; or
(b) either with or without extinguishing or reducing liability on any of its shares,—
(i) cancel any paid-up share capital which is lost or is unrepresented by available assets; or
(ii) pay off any paid-up share capital which is in excess of the wants of the company, its memorandum by reducing the amount of its share capital and of its shares accordingly:
Provided that no such reduction shall be made if the company is in arrears in the repayment of any accepted by it, either before or after the commencement of this Act, or the interest payable thereon.
(2) The Tribunal shall of every application made to it under sub-section (1) to the , Registrar and to the Securities and Exchange Board, in the case of listed companies, and the creditors of the company and shall take into consideration the , if any, made to it by that Government, Registrar, the Securities and Exchange Board and the creditors within a period of three months from the date of receipt of the notice:
Provided that where no representation has been received from the Central Government, Registrar, the Securities and Exchange Board or the creditors within the said period, it shall be presumed that they have no objection to the reduction.
(3) The Tribunal may, if it is satisfied that the debt or claim of every creditor of the company has been discharged or determined or has been secured or his consent is obtained, make an order confirming the reduction of share capital on such terms and conditions as it deems fit:
Provided that no application for reduction of share capital shall be sanctioned by the Tribunal unless the accounting treatment, proposed by the company for such reduction is in conformity with the specified in section 133 or any other provision of this Act and a certificate to that effect by the company’s auditor has been filed with the Tribunal.
(4) The order of of the reduction of share capital by the Tribunal under sub-section (3) shall be published by the company in such manner as the Tribunal may direct.
(5) The company shall deliver a certified copy of the order of the Tribunal under sub-section (3) and of a minute approved by the Tribunal showing—
(a) the amount of share capital;
(b) the number of shares into which it is to be divided;
(c) the amount of each share; and
(d) the amount, if any, at the date of registration deemed to be paid-up on each share,
to the Registrar within thirty days of the receipt of the copy of the order, who shall register the same and issue a certificate to that effect.
(6) Nothing in this section shall apply to buy-back of its own securities by a company under section 68.
(7) A of the company, past or present, shall not be liable to any call or contribution in respect of any share held by him exceeding the amount of difference, if any, between the amount paid on the share, or reduced amount, if any, which is to be deemed to have been paid thereon, as the case may be, and the amount of the share as fixed by the order of reduction.
(8) Where the name of any creditor entitled to object to the reduction of share capital under this section is, by reason of his ignorance of the proceedings for reduction or of their nature and effect with respect to his debt or claim, not entered on the list of creditors, and after such reduction, the company
is unable, within the meaning of sub-section (2) of section 271, to pay the amount of his debt or claim ,—
(a) every person, who was a member of the company on the date of the registration of the order for reduction by the Registrar, shall be liable to contribute to the payment of that debt or claim, an amount not exceeding the amount which he would have been liable to contribute if the company had commenced winding up on the day immediately before the said date; and
(b) if the company is wound up, the Tribunal may, on the application of any such creditor and proof of his ignorance as aforesaid, if it thinks fit, settle a list of persons so liable to contribute, and make and enforce calls and orders on the contributories settled on the list, as if they were ordinary contributories in a winding up.
(9) Nothing in sub-section (8) shall affect the rights of the contributories among themselves.
(10) If any officer of the company—
(a) knowingly conceals the name of any creditor entitled to object to the reduction;
(b) knowingly misrepresents the nature or amount of the debt or claim of any creditor; or
(c) abets or is privy to any such concealment or misrepresentation as aforesaid,
he shall be liable under section 447.
(i) the subscriber to the memorandum of the company who shall be deemed to have agreed to become member of the company, and on its registration, shall be entered as member in its register of members;
(ii) every other person who agrees in writing to become a member of the company and whose name is entered in the register of members of the company;
(iii) every person holding shares of the company and whose name is entered as a beneficial owner in the records of a depository
4.2.2- NCLT (Procedure for Reduction of Share Capital of Company) Rules,2016
2. Form of application or petition for Reduction of share capital under section 66.-(1) An application to the tribunal to confirm a reduction of share capital of a company shall be in and fee shall be, as prescribed in the Schedule of fee to these rules.
(2) An application to confirm a reduction of share capital of a company shall be accompanied with-
(a) the list of creditors duly certified by the Managing Director, or in his absence, by two directors, as true and correct, which is made as on a date not earlier than fifteen days prior to the date of filing of an application showing the details of the creditors of the company, class-wise, indicating their names, addresses and amounts owned to them;
(b) a certificate from the auditor of the company to the effect that the list of creditors referred to in clause (a) is correct as per the records of the company verified by the auditor;
(c) a certificate by the auditor and declaration by a director of the company is not, as on the date of filing of the application, in arrears in the repayment of the application, in arrears in the repayment of the deposits or the interest thereon;and
(d) a certificate by the company’s auditor to the effect that the accounting treatment proposed by the company for the reduction of share capital is in conformity with the accounting standards specified in section 133 or any other provisions of the Act.
(3) Copies of the list of creditors shall be kept at the registered office of the company and any person desirous of inspecting the same may, at any time during the ordinary hours of business, inspect and take extracts from the same on payment of the sum of rupees fifty for inspection and for taking extracts on payment of the sum of rupees ten per page to the company
|SCHEDULE OF FEES|
|Sl. No.||Section of the Companies Act, 2013||Nature of application / petition||Fees in Rs.|
|1||Sub-Section (1) of Section 66.||Application for reduction of share capital.||5,000/-|
4.2.3- NCLT (Procedure for Reduction of Share Capital of Company) Rules,2016
3. Issue of notice and directions by the National Law Tribunal.-
(1) The Tribunal shall, within fifteen days of submission of the application under rule 2, give notice, or direct that notice to be given to-
(i) the Central Government, Registrar of Companies, in all cases, in ;
(ii) the Securities and Exchange Board of India, in the case if listed companies in ;
(iii) the creditors of the company, in all cases in ;
seeking their representations and objections, if any.
(2) The notice under clause (iii) of sub-rule (1) shall be sent, within seven days of the direction given under that sub-rule or such other period as may be directed by the Tribunal, to each creditor whose name is entered in the list of creditors submitted by the company about the presentation of the application and of the said list, stating the amount of the proposed reduction of share capital and the amount or estimated value of the debt or the contingent debt or claim or both for which the creditor’s name is entered in the said list, and the time within which the creditor may send his representations and objections.
(3) The tribunal shall along with directions under sub-rule (1) give directions for the notice to be published, in within seven days from the date on which the directions are given, in English language in a leading English newspaper and in a leading vernacular language newspaper, both having wide circulation in the State in which the registered office of the company is situated, or such newspapers as may be directed by the Tribunal and for uploading on the website of the company (if any) seeking objections from the creditors and intimating about the date of hearing.
(4) The notice under sub-rule (3) shall state the amount of the proposed reduction of share capital, and the places, where the aforesaid list of creditors may be inspected, and the time as fixed by the Tribunal within which creditors of the Company may send their objections:
Provided that the objections, if any, shall be filed in the Tribunal within three months from the date of publications of the notice with a copy served on the company.
(5) The company or the person who was directed to issue notices and the publication in the newspaper under this rule shall, as soon as may be, but not later than seven days from the date of issue of such notices, file an affidavit in confirming the despatch and publication of the notice.
(6) Where the Tribunal is satisfied that the debt or claim of every creditor has been discharged or determined or has been secured or his consent is obtained, it may dispense with the requirement of giving of notice to creditors or publication of notice under this rule or both.
4.2.4- NCLT (Procedure for Reduction of Share Capital of Company) Rules,2016
4. Representation by Central Government, Registrar etc. under sub-section (2) of section 66.– If the authorities or the creditors of the company referred to in clause (i), clause(ii) and clause(iii) of sub-rule (1) of rule 3 desire to make any representation under sub-section (2) of section 66, the same shall be sent to the Tribunal within a period of three months from the date of receipt of notice and copy of such representation shall simultaneously be sent to the company and in case no representation has bee received within the said period by the Tribunal it shall be presumed that they have no objection to the reduction.
4.2.5- NCLT (Procedure for Reduction of Share Capital of Company) Rules,2016
5. Procedure with regard to representations and objections received.– (1) The company shall submit to the Tribunal, within seven days of expiry of period upto which representations or objections were sought, the representations or objections so received along with the responses of the company thereto.
(2) The Tribunal may give such directions as it may think fit with respect to holding of any enquiry or adjudication of claims or for hearing the objection or otherwise.
(3) At the hearing of the application, the Tribunal may, if it thinks fit, give such directions as may deem proper with reference to securing the debts or claims of creditors who do not consent to the proposed reduction, and the further hearing of the petition may be adjourned to enable the company to comply with such directions.
4.2.6 NCLT (Procedure for Reduction of Share Capital of Company) Rules,2016
6. Order on application and Minute thereof:- (1) Where the Tribunal makes an order confirming a reduction, the order confirming the reduction and approving the minute may include such directions or terms and conditions as the tribunal deems fit.
(2) The order confirming the reduction of share capital and approving the minute shall be in on such terms and conditions as may br deemed fit.
(3) The Certificate issued by the Registrar under sub-section (5) of section 66 shall be in
Amendments to Companies Act, 2013 vide Eleventh Schedule of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
Commencement Notification under Companies (Amendment) Act, 2020 dated 21.12.2020
Companies (Amendment) Act, 2020 dated 28.09.2020
Delegation of powers to RDs. Notification dated 6/09/2017
Enforcement Notification S.O. 3677(E) dated 07/12/2016
MCA Notification dated 19.01.2023 regarding Companies (Incorporation) Amendment Rules, 2023
Form INC – 28 – Substituted vide MCA Notification dated 19.01.2023
Form No. RSC-1
Form No. RSC-2