(1) Where any is being wound up and the liquidator has in his hands or under his control any money representing—
(a) dividends payable to any creditor but which had remained unpaid for six months after the date on which they were declared; or
(b) assets refundable to any which have remained undistributed for six months after the date on which they become refundable, the liquidator shall forthwith deposit the said money into a separate special account to be known as the Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account maintained in a .
(2) The liquidator shall, on the dissolution of the company, pay into the Company Liquidation Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account any money representing unpaid dividends or undistributed assets in his hands at the date of dissolution.
(3) The liquidator shall, when making any payment referred to in sub-sections (1) and (2), furnish to the , a statement in the prescribed form, setting forth, in respect of all sums included in such payment, the nature of the sums, the names and last known addresses of the persons entitled to participate therein, the amount to which each is entitled and the nature of his claim thereto, and such other particulars as may be prescribed.
(4) The liquidator shall be entitled to a receipt from the scheduled bank for any money paid to it under sub-sections (1) and (2), and such receipt shall be an effectual discharge of the Company Liquidator in respect thereof.
(5) Where a company is being wound up voluntarily, the Company Liquidator shall, when filing a statement in pursuance of sub-section (1) of section 348, indicate the sum of money which is payable under sub-sections (1) and (2) of this section during the six months preceding the date on which the said statement is prepared, and shall, within fourteen days of the date of filing the said statement, pay that sum into the Company Liquidation Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account.
(6) Any person claiming to be entitled to any money paid into the Company Liquidation Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account, whether paid in pursuance of this section or under the provisions of any may apply to the Registrar for payment thereof, and the Registrar, if satisfied that the person claiming is entitled, may make the payment to that person of the sum due:
Provided that the Registrar shall settle the claim of such person within a period of sixty days from the date of receipt of such claim, failing which the Registrar shall make a report to the Regional Director giving reasons of such failure.
(7) Any money paid into the Company Liquidation Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account in pursuance of this section, which remains unclaimed thereafter for a period of fifteen years, shall be transferred to the general revenue account of the Central Government, but a claim to any money so transferred may be preferred under sub-section (6) and shall be dealt with as if such transfer had not been made and the order, if any, for payment on the claim will be treated as an order for refund of revenue.
(8) Any liquidator retaining any money which should have been paid by him into the Company Liquidation Dividend and Undistributed Assets Account under this section shall—
(a) pay interest on the amount so retained at the rate of twelve per cent. per annum and also pay such penalty as may be determined by the Registrar:
Provided that the Central Government may in any proper case remit either in part or in whole the amount of interest which the liquidator is required to pay under this clause;
(b) be liable to pay any expenses occasioned by reason of his default; and
(c) where the winding up is by the , also be liable to have all or such part of his , as the Tribunal may consider just and proper, to be disallowed, and to be removed from his office by the Tribunal.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this clause, it is hereby clarified that a person holding fully paid-up shares in a company shall be considered as a contributory but shall have no liabilities of a contributory under the Act whilst retaining rights of such a contributory
(i) Acts relating to companies in force before the Indian Companies Act, 1866 (10 of 1866);
(ii) the Indian Companies Act, 1866 (10 of 1866);
(iii) the Indian Companies Act, 1882 (6 of 1882);
(iv) the Indian Companies Act, 1913 (7 of 1913);
(v) the Registration of Transferred Companies Ordinance, 1942 (Ord. 54 of 1942);
(vi) the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956); and
(vii) any law corresponding to any of the aforesaid Acts or the Ordinances and in force—
(A) in the merged territories or in a Part B State (other than the State of Jammu and Kashmir), or any part thereof, before the extension thereto of the Indian Companies Act, 1913 (7 of 1913); or
(B) in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, or any part thereof, before the commencement of the Jammu and Kashmir (Extension of Laws) Act, 1956 (62 of 1956), in so far as banking, insurance and financial corporations are concerned, and before the commencement of the Central Laws (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Act, 1968 (25 of 1968), in so far as other corporations are concerned;
(viii) the Portuguese Commercial Code, in so far as it relates to sociedades anonimas; and
(ix) the Registration of Companies (Sikkim) Act, 1961 (Sikkim Act 8 of 1961)(Not notified)