(1) Before or on the declaration of the result of the voting on any resolution on show of hands, a poll may be ordered to be taken by the Chairman of the meeting on his own motion, and shall be ordered to be taken by him on a demand made in that behalf,—
(a) in the case a company having a capital, by the present in person or by proxy, where allowed, and having not less than one-tenth of the or holding shares on which an aggregate sum of not less than five lakh rupees or such higher amount as may be prescribed has been paid-up; and
(b) in the case of any other company, by any member or members present in person or by proxy, where allowed, and having not less than one-tenth of the total voting power.
(2) The demand for a poll may be withdrawn at any time by the persons who made the demand.
(3) A poll demanded for adjournment of the meeting or appointment of Chairman of the meeting shall be taken forthwith.
(4) A poll demanded on any question other than adjournment of the meeting or appointment of Chairman shall be taken at such time, not being later than forty-eight hours from the time when the demand was made, as the Chairman of the meeting may direct.
(5) Where a poll is to be taken, the Chairman of the meeting shall appoint such number of persons, as he deems necessary, to scrutinise the poll process and votes given on the poll and to report thereon to him in the
(6) Subject to the provisions of this section, the Chairman of the meeting shall have power to regulate the manner in which the poll shall be taken.
(7) The result of the poll shall be deemed to be the decision of the meeting on the resolution on which the poll was taken.
(The exceptions, modifications and adaptations provided above shall be applicable only to those Private Companies which has not committed a default in filing its financial statements under section 137 of the said act or annual return under section 92 of the said act with the registrar, vide notification dated 13th June 2017)
To view the notification,Click Here
2.This section shall apply in case of a Specified IFSC public company, unless otherwise specified in the articles of the company vide Exemption Notification to specified IFSC Public Companies, GSR 08 (E) dated 04.01.2017. To view the notification Click Here
(i) the subscriber to the memorandum of the company who shall be deemed to have agreed to become member of the company, and on its registration, shall be entered as member in its register of members;
(ii) every other person who agrees in writing to become a member of the company and whose name is entered in the register of members of the company;
(iii) every person holding shares of the company and whose name is entered as a beneficial owner in the records of a depository
7.1.21- Companies (Management & Administration) Rules,2014
21. Manner in which the Chairman of meeting shall get the poll process scrutinised and report thereon.-
(1) The Chairman of a meeting shall ensure that-
(a) The Scrutinizers are provided with the Register of Members, specimen signatures of the members, Attendance Register and Register of Proxies.
(b) The Scrutinizers are provided with all the documents received by the Company pursuant to sections 105, 112 and section 113.
(c) The Scrutinizers shall arrange for Polling papers and distribute them to the members and proxies present at the meeting; in case of joint shareholders, the polling paper shall be given to the first named holder or in his absence to the joint holder attending the meeting as appearing in the chronological order in the folio and the Polling paper shall be in
(d) The Scrutinizers shall keep a record of the polling papers received in response to poll, by initialing it.
(e) The Scrutinizers shall lock and seal an empty polling box in the presence of the members and proxies.
(f) The Scrutinizers shall open the Polling box in the presence of two persons as witnesses after the voting process is over.
(g) In case of ambiguity about the validity of a proxy, the Scrutinizers shall decide the validity in consultation with the Chairman.
(h) The Scrutinizers shall ensure that if a member who has appointed a proxy has voted in person, the proxy’s vote shall be disregarded.
(i) The Scrutinizers shall count the votes cast on poll and prepare a report thereon addressed to the Chairman.
(j) Where voting is conducted by electronic means under the provisions of section 108 and rules made thereunder, the company shall provide all the necessary support, technical and otherwise, to the Scrutinizers in orderly conduct of the voting and counting the result thereof.
(k) The Scrutinizers’ report shall state total votes cast, valid votes, votes in favour and against the resolution including the details of invalid polling papers and votes comprised therein.
(l) The Scrutinizers shall submit the Report to the Chairman who shall counter-sign the same.
(m) The Chairman shall declare the result of Voting on poll. The result may either be announced by him or a person authorized by him in writing.
and the report shall be signed by the scrutinizer and, in case there is more than one scrutinizer by all the scrutinizer, and the same shall be submitted by them to the Chairman of the meeting within seven days from the date the poll is taken.
Enforcement Notification S.O. 902(E) dated 26/03/2014
Exemption to Specified IFSC Public company [GSR 08(E)] dated 04/01/2017
Exemptions to Private Companies [Amendment to GSR 464(E)] dated 13/06/2017